The Story So Far…
During the 14th Century, a small Corn Mill was established on the banks of the River Frome where Egypt Mill now proudly stands. Only the ground floor roadside wall remains from this period. No traceable records indicate the path taken by Egypt Mill until 1656, when the earliest records of ownership show that it was purchased by George Hudson, a haberdasher of London. Together with his partner, Henry Willoughby, George Hudson leased the Mill in 1675 to Richard Webb, son of Edward, the local clothier. It is known that the building then contained two Fulling Mills, a Gig Mill and a Dyehouse. Richard Webb assumed the name ‘Pharaoh’, but just how the property became known as Egypt remains a mystery. It has been suggested that early Egyptian travellers settled on the river banks thus giving the area and subsequently the Mill its name.
Egypt Mill remained in the ownership of Richard Webb’s descendants for 157 years until 1832 when it was sold to Playne & Smith. The Mill was then used for the manufacture of cloth, before becoming a logwood mill, producing vegetable dyes, used in colouring of tunics worn by British Soldiers.
At the turn of the Century, the Mill was purchased by John King, a local farmer, whose sons, Beaufoy and Bertram, combined farming with the milling of corn until the 1950s. Egypt Mill was then used for the mixing and storage of animal foods until its restoration in 1985.
The three major developments of Egypt Mill can be clearly seen from the Water Gardens, where the varying height of windows, indicate the Mill’s expansion during the centuries.
Since 1980 the Mill has been, by sheer coincidence, in the ownership of the family of Steve and Philippa Webb but they are not related to the descendants of Richard Webb.